SEB Mailbag: Just an observation about the Teslar Watch edition.

This edition of the mailbag references an entry from way back in the archives – some 7 years ago – in which I wrote about the Teslar Watch which is an overpriced timepiece that supposedly has health benefits. Back in the day the claim was that it would protect you from harmful “electronic pollution” such as the sort emitted by your cell phones.  These days the claims are that it’ll help you sleep better.

Over the years there have been a few people who have stepped up to defend the watch – I suspect they were all involved in selling the watch to some degree – and it’s been awhile since I’ve heard from anyone about it. Well the long dry drought of inanity is over as I present you the following missive from one Ron St. John:

From: Ron and Norma St. John

Subject: Teslar Watch

Les,

This is just an observation.

Firstly, I want for you to know that I don’t have a dog in this fight regarding your comments about the Teslar Watch.  I have nothing to do with the makers, distributors and I don’t own one.  I was looking into them, myself, when I came across your article on the web.

Secondly, my education is in nuclear engineering.  So I have a pretty good understanding of nano-technology and the effects of various frequencies that move at the speed of light, such as radio frequencies, alpha particles, radiation, microwaves, ultraviolet, infrared, and the many other names that are given for such energy.  I also understand electrical fields and how they can effect various frequencies of energy.

Such as:  Did you know that the electrical field that surrounds the Earth actually protects the Earth from various harmful radiation frequencies that come from our own Sun?  Yep, it’s not news.  This is true.

I can tell that you are very heart-felt about your opinion regarding the Teslar Watch and I can appreciate your well meaning comments and your desire to exercise good-will toward mankind.  I want for you to have my opinion so that you can decide for yourself if you may be mistaken in your assessment of the Teslar Watch.

So, here is my opinion:

The Teslar Watch does advertize that it uses a battery and a coil to create an electric field which collapses a certain range of energy frequencies.

The Teslar Watch does not advertize that it emits any sort of frequency, as you have stated.

The Teslar Watch does not advertize that it neutralizes electromagnetic fields, as you have stated.

Now, I have not analyzed this watch to see for myself exactly what function that it does perform.  I only want for you to know that your website accuses the Teslar Watch of doing exactly the opposite of what it advertizes itself to do.

It is my suggestion to you that you make an opportunity, soon, to apologize to Philip Stein for the apparent (well intentioned) but misplaced things that you have said about his product.

And Les, a lesson that I learned in life from my grandfather, also an engineer (I want to be careful that I don’t offend you when I say this) (Well, I didn’t say it, my grandfather did) (I am simply sharing granddaddy’s words with you)  “Anything is possible if you don’t know what you are talking about.”

So, Les, take care of yourself.  For your sake and for the sake of ‘TRUTH’ I hope that you will reconsider the continuation of your derogatory statements on the web.  Very respectfully, I feel embarrassed for you.

Very kind regards,
Ron St. John

I think this has got to be one of the more polite messages of this sort I’ve ever received. Though it follows a common pattern such as the claiming of having knowledge which I do not. In terms of actually laying out any reasons as to why I should give up my skepticism of the watch, however, it’s a tad bit lacking.

I’ll post my reply after the jump.

Continue reading

SEB Mailbag: Conversations with a Dumbass - Teslar Watch edition.

Got the following email last night in regards to the entry I wrote awhile back about the captastic Teslar watch:

From: Allan “Sid” Sidney – Lensminder@msn.com
Subject: Teslar watch

Hello,
Just a note from someone who has one and likes it.  I bought the watch for the esthetic reasons and because it is somewhat of a status symbol. I work hard for my money and I can afford to have a thousand dollar watch on my wrist and I don’t care if you don’t like it.
If it happens to have other benefits besides correct time all the better? You spend your extra money on a website,  I spend mine on watches.
I love this country
Adios

Here’s the reply I sent back:

    Allan,

    I give a fuck if you like the watch. Whether or not you feel the watch is worth the money doesn’t change the fact that the claims of the company are complete bullshit. When you have something substantial to offer in the way of a discussion then feel free to contact me again, but personal opinions on the watch are irrelevant to the point of my entry.

    Though this will make a great new post in my “Discussions with a Dumbass” series. Thanks for sending it along.

    Les

SEB Mailbag: Another moron defends the Teslar watch, attacks fluoride.

The SEB mailbag is becoming quite the resource for entries as of late. This one comes from someone named David L. Ries who stumbled across an entry I wrote back in August of 2003 about the craptastic Philip Stein Teslar Watch. He apparently didn’t like the tone or the conclusion I came to in the entry and he wrote me to try and set my ass straight. Here’s his email:

From: “David L. Ries” (davidlries@sssnet.com)
Subject: Teslar & Other stuff

In reading some of your post I was a bit taken by your bombastic attacks and in particular the idea not that you suggest no-thing as a better alternative.

Experts said that the earth was flat and the sun revolved around it and of course that was inaccurate? 

To give you some “medical” examples, doctors used to believe that what ever made one sick was in the blood, so therefore, we must bleed the individual.  We have learned that that was inaccurate and wrong.

We used to believe that fluoride was good and that is very harmful and is a bio accumulative toxic.

The ADA still insists that it is ok to poison the Municipal water supplies and in effect the processed foods are laced with fluoride which you and I are exposed to every day.

There is no way to control the dosage and this is a serious problem which some people and probably you are unaware of this

Please –  Take a look at the attachment.

We used to put lead in the paint that was harmful?

How about DDT you want to drink some?  Perhaps have your kids playing in the yard with and DDT sprayed around? 

The real bias is in our lack of understanding and knowing.

Our brains are very delicate chemical and electrical plants as is our nervous system entirely electrical based on chemical reactions.

So perhaps you could illuminate all of us with something innovative that truly helps. 

Perhaps   the Teslar is as you say – but at least it is good that some people are trying to innovate and yes make a living doing it. 

I do know one thing. Mr. NikolaTesla made the world a much better place. His ideas and inventions have helped humanity more than any single contribution
made by any other human on the planet.  I say that from my own point of view not as a scientific fact but I suggest anyone would be hard pressed to refute it.  The radio, the transistor, and television and virtually every single electronic thing is derivative of his not Edison’s or Marconi’s work.  (Good men mind you but not in Tesla’s league by any means)

That includes me and you and hundreds of thousands millions perhaps billons of us.

His work is still classified in many areas and to say what you are saying without really knowing is unjust’

I hope we learn one way or the other but it is true that there is an electromagnetic radiation coming out of every socket in your house and that may do something to our cells vibrations we don’t know.  Cows are being found to have problems when around high voltage wires in grazing so why presume that it doesn’t affect humans?  Scalar waves have been weaponized by the Government and is being USED in HARRP so please awaken to the possibility that something good could come of it and get with helping and building – beats destruction don’t you think?  .  And no I don’t have a teslar watch, nor do I work for the company just seemed you needed a little to ponder.

                So there you go   David/.

His attachment was one of the various “fluoride is toxic waste” nonsense filled pamphlets that have been floating around on the Internet for awhile now. I hadn’t realized how big the fluoride is dangerous crowd had gotten until I did a Google search and saw all the “herbal supplement” peddlers with tons of factually inaccurate webpages devoted to the evils of fluoride. Which isn’t to say that fluoride in high doses can’t be a problem, because it can, but those potential issues are known and accounted for with over 60 years of peer-reviewed research backing it up. The claims that it causes, among a number of things, cancer are just not true. David appears to be unaware of the fact that fluoride occurs naturally in water all over the world and, in some places, the process of water treatment involves reducing the amount already present to safe levels.

David goes on to touch on all the popular bullshit too many folks buy into these days including the “weaponized” scalar waves and repeats the ever popular at-one-time-experts-thought-X-was-safe-and-they-were-WRONG line of argument as though it was somehow an indictment of the scientific method. David also seems to think that Nikola Tesla had something to do with the Teslar watch. He didn’t. The makers of that craptastic watch chose that name specifically to try and profit off of Nikola’s reputation as a genius.

For those of you curious as to what David’s anti-fluoride attachment contained I’ll include in after the jump. It’s suppose to contain links to other sites explaining the claims in full, but they appear to have been lost in translation. I’m short on time at the moment, but I’ll try to revisit this later with links to counter-claims.

Here’s the Fluoride is toxic nonsense I received:

The research and evidence suggesting toxic effects of fluoride has been mounting.  It has been found to be pretty unhealthy. 

1. Neurotoxic and Lowers IQ
In 1995, neurotoxicologist and former Director of toxicology at Forsyth Dental Center in Boston, Dr. Phyllis Mullenix published research showing that fluoride built up in the brains of animals when exposed to moderate levels. Damage to the brain occurred and the behavior patterns of the animals was adversely effected. Offspring of pregnant animals receiving relatively low doses of fluoride showed permanent effects to the brain which were seen as hyperactivity (ADD-like symptoms). Young animals and adult animals given fluoride experienced the opposite effect—hypo activity or sluggishness. The toxic effects of fluoride on the central nervous system was subsequently confirmed by previously-classified government research. Two new epidemiological studies which tend to confirm fluoride’s Neurotoxic effects on the brain have shown that children exposed to higher levels of fluoride had lower IQs.
2. A study published in Brain Research shows that rats drinking only 1 part per million fluoride (NaF) in water had histologic lesions in their brain similar to Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. In addition, evidence was seen pointing to possible damage to the blood brain barrier from extended fluoride exposure. This study was the third in a series of papers published by Varner et al. Brain Research Vol. 784 No. 12 p 284-298 (1998). Results of this recent study and other studies showing significant dangers from low-level fluoride exposure were presented at a recent scientific symposium.
3. Causes Cancer
The Department of Health in New Jersey found that bone cancer in male children was between two and seven times greater in areas where water was fluoridated. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) researchers confirmed the bone cancer-causing effects of fluoride at low levels in an animal model. A new study has shown that fluoridation of water is linked to uterine cancer deaths.
4. Changes Bone Structure and Strength
Fluoride gradually builds up in the bones and causes adverse changes to the bone structure. Quite a few studies have shown that fluoridation leads to increases in hip fractures. The tensile strength of the hip is destroyed over time by fluoride ingestion.
5. Causes Birth Defects and Preinatal Deaths
A toxicologist in the United Kingdom recently found that preinatal deaths in a fluoridated area was 15% higher than in neighboring non-fluoridated areas. The fluoridated area had a higher socio-economic status and would have been expected to have less preinatal deaths. The fluoridated area also had a 30% higher rate of Down’s Syndrome. Chile banned fluoridation because of research by the world-renowned researcher, Dr Albert Schatz, which showed a link to infant deaths due to fluoridation.
6. Proven Ineffective
Fluoride compounds in water and in supplements do not provide any significant cavity-protecting effects. All of the recent large-scale studies of water fluoridation have shown that there are no positive effects. There is scientific evidence that increased fluoride exposure leads to increased levels of caries. That is why countries without fluoridation have shown an equal improvement in dental health as those with fluoridation. Even pro-fluoridation scientists admit that there is not any properly-conducted research showing that fluoride supplements help prevent cavities. (Note: check vitamins carefully to be sure they do not include fluoride.)
7. Impairs Immune System
Independent research has shown that fluoride impairs the functioning of the immune system. In the United States, where toxic fluoride compounds are regularly added to water and given to children since the 1960s and 1970s, we are beginning to see an overwhelming number of people of that generation who are developing chronic immune system disorders.
8. Causes Acute Adverse Reactions
Several double-blind studies have shown that fluoridated water can often cause acute adverse reactions (in addition to the chronic poisoning effects discussed below). Some of the effects seen in double-blind studies include: gastrointestinal symptoms, stomatitis, joint pains, polydipsia, headaches, visual disturbances, muscular weakness, and extreme tiredness. An enlightening review of a book by one famous and well-respected researcher from The Netherlands who found adverse reactions in double-blind experiments can be read here.
9. Causes Initial Stages of Skeletal Fluorosis
Fluoride can cause severe skeletal fluorosis at high levels. Chronic, long-term exposure to levels of fluoride commonly found in water and food in the U.S. can cause the beginning stages of skeletal fluorosis including: pains in bones and joints, sensations of burning, pricking, and tingling in the limbs, muscle weakness, chronic fatigue, gastrointestinal disorders, reduced appetite, backache, osteoarthritis, etc. In fact, decades of ingestion of fluoride from water and other common sources can be expected to cause these symptoms in large numbers of people based on calculations of fluoride intake and excretion. (Keep in mind that fluoride is a cumulative poison since it builds up in the body of years.) Very few healthcare practitioners are capable of diagnosing such a condition because healthcare practitioners are not trained to test for or recognize the effects chronic poisoning from fluoride.
10. Increases Lead and Arsenic Exposure
Fluoride compounds put into water are often contaminated with lead, arsenic and radio nuclides since the fluoride compounds are toxic waste byproducts which largely come from pollution scrubbers of fertilizer plants. A study published in 2000 showed that the dumping of toxic silicofluoride compounds into water (“fluoridation”) causes an increase in blood lead levels in children.
11. Fluoride Causes Osteoarthritis
In a study published in Rheumatology International in 2001, researchers found a link between fluoride exposure and the development of osteoarthritis. The level of exposure that caused osteoarthritis is common in the United States.
12. Contributes to the Development of Repetitive Stress Injury
A clinical study in New Zealand showed that fluoride ingestion may be a contributing factor in the development of Repetitive Stress Injury (RSI) since such ingestion may encourage the development of apatite crystal formation. Elimination of fluoride plus regular supplementation of magnesium appeared to help RSI patients considerably.
13. Causes Permanent Disfigurement of the Teeth in Many Children
A very large and increasing number of children are experiencing dental fluorosis which is a permanent adverse structural change to the teeth.
14. Inhibits Key Enzymes
As fluoride builds up in different parts of the body over decades it can disrupt the actions of many key enzymes. This fact has been known for a long time.
15. Suppresses Thyroid Function
Fluoride was given at low levels during the early to mid 20th century as an effective way of suppressing thyroid function and treating hyperthyroidism. Articles and research can be found on the Thyroid web page.
16. Causes Large Numbers of Acute Poisonings
Fluoride is an extremely poisonous substances at exceptionally low doses and has caused a large number of acute poisonings. This is why a poison warning is now required on fluoridated toothpastes sold in the U.S.
17. Independent Experts Oppose Dumping Fluoride Into Water
Over 1500 professionals at the US EPA, including toxicologists and risk assessment experts voted unanimously to oppose the fluoridation initiative in California because of the health risks involved. See summary or official EPA union statement. Even the Canadian Dental Association Consultant and Researcher urged people to avoid drinking fluoridated water.
18. Unethical
Fluoridation amounts to forced medication of the water supply. Such practices demonstrate a complete lack of ethics on the part of its promoters. Studies as early the 1930s showed extreme hazards to man and the environment due to fluoride dumping and exposure. Companies and organizations involved used the promotion of “fluoridation” as a way to avoid lawsuits due to dumping toxic wastes and later for economic gain. Please read the short history of fluoridation for more detailed information.

19. Banned in Many Countries
Fluoridation is not legal or not used in the overwhelming number of countries including industrialized countries. Please see Fluoride Status of Countries web page.
Many independent researchers, organizations, holistic healthcare experts and a growing number of dentists who avoid the use of toxic substances are warning their patients to avoid fluoridated water and fluoridated toothpaste and to definitely not give children any fluoride since they appear to be more susceptible to the neurological toxicity from fluoride.

If your water department adds toxic fluoride compounds to the water, the best course of action is usually to drink and cook with bottled “spring” water. Carbon filters do not remove fluoride compounds to any significant extent. Avoid putting fluoridated water in humidifiers. Many non-organic juices have large amounts of fluoride from pesticide residues. It is best to juice your own vegetables and fruits from organic produce or go to a health food store to purchase organic juices.
Avoid toothpastes that have fluoride even if the manufacturers claim that the fluoride came from “natural” sources. Even though topical fluoride treatment may have an effect to help remineralize cavities at the early stages, the combination of a healthy diet, proper dental hygiene and saliva can have a similar effect. It is impossible to avoid swallowing some fluoride from fluoridated toothpaste. I have tried various toothpastes and current use the natural Weleda toothpaste with baking soda. I like that fact that it does not contain fluoride or the detergent, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS).

More detailed information about fluoride and proper dental care:

· Fluoridation Does Not Prevent Tooth Decay
· Fluoride: Detailed General & Scientific Information
· Fluoride: Journal of the International Society for Fluoride Research
· Parents of Fluoride Poisoned Children: Main Page / Toxicological Profile / Thyroid Page
· International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology Position Paper on Fluoridation (Click on Download Article)
· Scientific Statement Signed By 1,500+ U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Scientists and Professionals
· NoFluoride.com (Statements by Scientific and Medical Experts)
· Fluoride Action Network
· Fluoride Issues Web Page
· Fluorides & Fluoridation: Evidence Based on Science?
· Citizens for Safe Drinking Water
· Fluoride: The Deadly Legacy by Gary Null
· Book Review: The Fluoride Deception
· History of Fluorine, Fluoride and Fluoridation
· Article & Resources for Eliminating Dental Disease
· Alternatives to Fluoridated Water
· Preventive Dental Association
· Dental Fluorosis Prevention Program

Conversations with a dumbass.

I write a fair amount about various Craptastic ProductsTM that people of questionable ethics (or sanity) attempt to foist off on the general public as legitimate items worthy of the ridiculously high price tag they carry. Things like that stupid Q-Ray bracelet and the equally ridiculous Philip Stein Teslar Watch and these entries often become pretty highly ranked on Google. As a result those entries get a lot of visitors looking for information and invariably this means that someone who’s a fan of one of these Craptastic ProductsTM will show up sooner or later and attempt to defend said product. Usually they do it in the comments, but sometimes they send me an email. Over the last day or two I’ve had the unique pleasure of receiving just such an email from one Preston Craven who took me to task for my criticism of the aforementioned watch that supposedly cancels out harmful EMF radiation from cell phones and the like. His emails, which I will reproduce below, are typical of many that I get on a semi-regular basis. Often they’re amusing. Especially when, as in Preston’s case, they make grandiose claims of “majoring in theoretical mathematics and physics” and yet they can’t manage simple punctuation, decent spelling or proper word spacing in their emails.

Here is the first email along with my response:

> while i am sure that u have read ad nausium about the
> teslar watch, i doubt very seriusly that you
> understand it!

Now there’s a claim I keep hearing over and over again on everything from this stupid watch to the nature of UFOs and how John Edward manages to talk to dead people. OK, I’m game. Enlighten me.

> it works on refined theories of quantum
> subtructures and physics…wich i doubt,very much that
> you can comprehend.

You’d be surprised at what I can comprehend. More than the average person, that’s for sure. My IQ of 135 should be good for something, but then claims like the above are common from people who wish to peddle their craptastic products as legitimate and worthwhile investments.

> if you had bothered to read the
> proof that NASA has gathered you may be
> convinced,watchout though,it is not lite reading!

I have yet to find any proof from NASA in regards to the Teslar watch. There’s nothing in the way of comments or proof on the Phillip Stein Teslar Watch website and there’s nothing I can locate at the official NASA website on teslar watches either. I notice you didn’t provide any links to purported proof from NASA either. Supposedly you’ve seen said proof so it shouldn’t be difficult to provide it.

> the
> teslar watch is an earth frequency generator that was
> originally designed to assist astronauts with space
> sickness,and it is proven to work, quite well!the EFG
> works by simulating the harmonic resonance feild of
> the earth, but you would not know anything about that
> would you…

Considering the only mention I can find of concepts such as an “earth frequency generator” or the “harmonic resonance field of the earth” is on “alternative” medicine websites and I can find no mention of such a things in any academic journals let alone anywhere on NASA’s webpage then I’d have to agree with you and say, yes, I wouldn’t know anything about those things as there doesn’t seem to be any scientific data on either of them.

> you sound like someone who has a grudge
> with the world,

Why? Because I don’t buy into bullshit products and I get angry when con-men try to pass them off as legit? I don’t have a grudge with the world, just a select few people within it.

> you DON’T understand the physics
> behind how the watch works,if you did, you would not
> be skeptical and understand that the watch is not
> bullshit.

Common claim and a really bad logical argument. I’m skeptical and think it’s bullshit precisely because I do have a good grasp of physics. I’d be more inclined to believe in it the less I understood. But if you can prove otherwise, feel free.

> in fact…i will admit that i felt the same
> way…at first. the doctor that i work for asked me to
> help her understand the finer points of how the watch
> worked, i am majoring in theoretical mathematics and
> physics, so i translated, at first i thought it was
> bullshit, until i read on,and on, and on. no offense,
> but there is no way the layman could possibly
> understand the vast theories on scalar quantities,
> anyway even after reading all the equations and
> crunching all the numbers, i was more convinced…

You’re majoring in theoretical mathematics and physics? At which University? It’s clear you’re not majoring in English or Communications based on this email. It’s great that you crunched all the numbers, surely you saved that data in some form of report so you could show it to doubters such as myself, yes? Or did you let all that effort studying and working the numbers go to waste? Anecdotes are nice and all, but they tend to be tremendously unreliable.

> but
> i am a show me kinda guy, so the doc made a deal with
> me,” wear it for a week, then say its malarky” so i
> took her up on it, i have not taken the watch off
> since!

And I should accept your judgment on the matter because… why exactly? Some yahoo sends me an email out of the blue claiming to have done all the work to prove this silly watch actually does what its makers claim despite being based on “pretend physics” and I’m just supposed to accept at face value that you’re the expert at theoretical mathematics and physics you claim to be and change my tune? I’d be happy to take a look at your research and all the effort you’ve put into this little venture, I’d be happy to consider reading any papers you can send me a link to that have been published by respected science journals or organizations, but I won’t just take your word for it no matter how many times you insult me.

> the watch works by augmenting the human
> electrical feild,you can actually see kirlian photos
> of this process taking place! photos taken by NASA’s
> finest!

Blah blah blah blah blah. Heard all this crap before. Kirlian photos aren’t much more than a cute parlor trick, scientifically speaking. Surely you can do better than that. If this shit is supposed to be so hard to understand then how is a simple trick like a Kirlian photo supposed to be convincing?

> you can argue all you want and i know that
> noone could ever convince you otherwise, but you are
> wrong, though i dont think you are the kind of man who
> could admit that.

Well I’m certainly not going to admit I’m wrong on the basis of the flimsy argument you’ve made in this email. You haven’t said anything I’ve not heard before, you’ve offered no outside data to verify your claims, you keep making reference to NASA without providing any proof and so on and so on. If you honestly don’t think anyone could ever convince me otherwise then why are you bothering to try? That’s pretty fucking stupid if you ask me. I thought you were supposed to be the smart one here? As for admitting I can be wrong, all I can say is my website is full of examples of me admitting I was wrong about something. Guess you don’t know me as well as you think you do.

> i suggest that you visit ELF
> labratories and look up a noted scientist who dveloped
> the real scalar watch, this stein watch is nothing
> more than a cheaper built more coslty version of the
> real thing!

ELF Laboratories as in the folks who produce the Light Beam Generator? Oh please. Don’t make me laugh.

> like i said, the scalar watch is a proven
> peice of technology whose healing benifits were
> discovered quite by accident, it involved a prototype of the power core being set down near a petrie dish of
> cultured lymphocytes,anyway,

I’ve yet to see any proof of its validity and you’ve not provided anything new in this email that would give me any reason to suspect any such proof exists.

> if you would take the
> time to look into it, i am sure you would see that
> energy medicine is the way of the future, however,
> people always attack what they do not understand, and
> you do not understand the process of how the scalar
> watch works,

Again, a common claim from those who would peddle their bullshit as being valid science. If I don’t understand something I’ll look into it before offering an opinion. I try my hardest not to attack things which I have little to no knowledge about, that’s not my style. I’m firmly of the belief that there’s a big difference between an opinion and an informed opinion. Try offering some proof instead of claiming to know what I do and don’t understand and then perhaps you’ll change my mind.

> let me rephrase that, you amy be right
> about this stein watch, but as far as the real
> thing”wich might i add that the real scalar watch does
> not cost anywere in the ballpark of what the stein
> watch costs” it works.

Sure thing, pal. I bet you’ve got your own pet unicorn in your backyard too. Does it wear a scalar watch as well?

> i know that you will probably
> just put this out there and bash the hell out of me,
> but if you do, i have the satisfaction of knowing that
> i am right about you and the scalar watch.

I wasn’t going to bother posting it to my website, but it’s so damned funny and I hate to disappoint your preconceptions about me so perhaps I will after all. Should be good for a laugh.

> P.S. you
> need to go straight to a website that will inform you
> on all you need to know about physics,after you read
> that, if you still dont believe,then i will only have
> been proven more right than you know,have fun!
 
And which website would that be then? I see you once again haven’t bothered to so much as name it, let alone provide a link to it. While you’re working on that degree in mathematics and physics you may want to consider taking a couple of courses in English and Logic as this email you sent was just fucking pathetic on both counts.

Nice talking with you.

Les

So some time passes and I eventually get the following two replies in short order:

like i said, u just prove me right with every jibe,
mr.bullshit

And….

135, wow impressive,so thats how you read the e-mail
lol,anyway thanx for the reply, at least i know you
read it

To which I replied with the following in a single response:

    Whatever makes you happy. I’ll note for the record, however, that you decided to cop out instead of providing any of the requested info or references. Which just validates my initial thoughts about you as well. So I suppose neither one of us is disappointed or surprised.

    Yep, I read it. I had little else better to do with my time and it was amusing enough in its own right. Studying theoretical mathematics, right, I believe that about as much as I believe that stupid watch works.

    Les

Time passes and he speaks once again…

blah,blah,blah,i gave you all you need to know,the way
i see it,you copped out by not bothering to try and
understand it,so like i said,every time u reply,i
forward the e-mail to other peers and we have a good
laugh,so i wouldmt bother to even try it, you are
after all alot of talk, have a nice day.

To which I offered the following:

    You didn’t give me jack shit. You claimed NASA had done all sorts of studies that proved it worked. You claimed it was clinically proven. You made a lot of claims without providing anything to back them up. Claims I can get from anyone. If you have proof then reveal it. If you don’t then you’ll just continue to respond in this same grammatically challenged manner. Put up or shut up. Anything else is just you wasting more hot air.

    What’s to understand? You didn’t offer up any details on how it was supposed to work. You did spew out a lot of pseudo-scientific gobbledy-gook such as the “Earth’s harmonic resonance field” and “kirlian photos,” but nothing in the way of a scientific explanation on how this supposed scalar technology actually works let alone any studies that seem to indicate it has any basis in reality.

    Like I said before, that’s hardly surprising.

    Forward away. It’s not like it bothers me to have people dumb enough to think there’s anything behind the Teslar Watch laughing at me. They say that ignorance is bliss, you guys must be one happy bunch.

    Les

Finally this evening I got the following:

man,give it up, you sound more lame with every
e-mail,you sre starting to sound like your grasping at
straws,oh,by the way,your address has been blocked,in
fact anyone who is not in my address book can no
longer send me e-mails,your desperate attempts to make
yourself feel intelligent were beginning to crowd my
mailbox,it will still say that i am receiving them but
they will be filtered out by my server,so tah tah,have
fun…inch

I couldn’t resist a parting shot so I replied back with:

    Now why is this not surprising? When confronted with a challenge to prove your bullshit you run like a scared puppy. Fucking sad.

    Les

It didn’t bounce so I’m assuming he got it, not that it actually matters either way. This fellow is a perfect example of the “loyal parrot” syndrome that seems commonplace among the true believers. They show up, spew out the same nonsense you could read for yourself in the Craptastic Product’s sales brochure, make big claims of being authorities on subjects that you couldn’t possibly ever hope to understand, and then run for the hills the moment you ask them to back up their bullshit with some hard facts all the while sputtering about how asking them to prove their shit don’t stink just shows how right they are.

It’s hard to judge whether these people actually believe this crap or are just the ones actually trying to sell it so they want you to think they really believe this crap. I’m sure there’s a little of both that show up from time to time. Fun reading, eh?

Latest snake-oil scam: Philip Stein Teslar watch.

In addition to magnetic bracelets and shoe inserts to aid in healing and electrocution belts for weight loss, consumers looking to waste money on products with dubious medical claims can now blow their earnings on a watch that claims to protect your body from “electronic pollution” in the form of magnetic fields.

Wired News: A Watch Powered by Snake Oil

The Philip Stein Teslar watch contains a chip that works with the battery and coil to create a frequency that neutralizes the electromagnetic fields emanating from devices like cell phones, computers and radios, according to the company.

Research links electromagnetic fields with several health problems like headache, fatigue and memory loss, the company said. Those who wear the quartz watch allegedly sleep better, experience less stress and have improved concentration and more energy, it claims.

“It shields the body from these electromagnetic fields, and then the body can be more effective in taking care of itself and its immune system with those unwanted fields thrown off,” explained Ilonka Harezi, head of research for Teslar Inside, which manufactures the watch. “With us sticking cell phones to our heads, we need that protection,” Harezi said.

But others say the company’s claims are a bunch of bunk.

“There is not a chance in the world that (these types of devices) will do anything but lighten your wallet,” said John Moulder, a professor of radiation oncology at the Medical College of Wisconsin, who said he’s seen a slew of products that claim to do the same thing, including radio-frequency-proof lingerie.

Despite there being absolutely no scientific evidence that magnetic fields have any discernible effect on the body, and that’s something that has been studied extensively, the watches are being sold at such upscale stores as Bloomingdale’s New York and Royal Jewelers in Massachusetts for prices starting at $600 and going up to $2000 for one covered in diamonds. Needless to say, the watches are a hit among various celebrities and athletes and the clueless in general.

That’s it. I’m tired of being the only one who’s not making tons of money off of peoples’ stupidity and gullibility. I’m going to develop my own highly over-priced craptastic product with dubious medical claims that you don’t really need and start selling it to clueless idiots so I can be rich too. Perhaps it’s time I follow through on developing a patented Anti-Alien Anal Probe Ass Shield for people suffering from occasional alien anal probe syndrome. There certainly seems be enough of those people around judging from all the news items I read about it.

Link via Boing Boing.