I’m old enough to remember when MTV debuted on cable and how they used to show nothing but music videos 24 hours a day. Many are the hours I wasted in my teens watching MTV and hoping my favorite artists’ videos would show up. These days when I turn on the channel nine times out of ten it’s some crappy reality TV show I have no interest in watching.
That’s why I had a major case of nostalgia when I stumbled across a YouTube posting of Her Morning Elegance as it felt very much like something you’d see on MTV back in the day. Not only is the video entrancing, but the music is wonderful. Check it:
As is often the case when I find someone new to appreciate I did a little digging to see what else I could learn. The song is from Oren Lavie’s debut album titled The Opposite Side of the Sea which he has released under his own label here in the States. I’m going to have to check out the rest of the album to see if it’s as delightful as this song as it’ll be a must own if it is.
Oren has put up some additional information about how this video was made and who was involved on his official MySpace Blog. Here’s a small sample:
* The video was shot all stills – roughly 3225 still photos for the entire video, using one camera, hanging from the ceiling for the main body of the movie.
* It took 4 weeks before shooting to create an animated computer generated storyboard for the video, with 3d dummies for the characters.
* It took only 2 days of shooting for the live actors on set to re-create the 3.5 minutes computer sequence, frame by frame.
* Some of the bed sheets used in the video were taken from Oren’s own bedroom and are now considered collectors items, worth at the moment not very much and therefore used as bed sheets.
* Each of the wonderfully talented people above have worked on the video for a fraction of their normal rates (except Oren who worked for his normal rate of zero).
Go read the whole thing as Oren has a wry sense of humor that I find very appealing. Definitely going to have to keep an eye on this artist.