- We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
- Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
- People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
- At the end of your blog post, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
- Don’t forget to leave them each a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.
This will be harder to do than you might think because I’ve done similar memes before — starting all the way back in June of 2003 with my 100 Things About Me entry that, oddly enough, only made it to number 49 before I ran out of odd factoids to write about and it’s been on my List Of Things To Finish Up for, well, a few years now — and I don’t know if I’m allowed to duplicate previously used facts. Who’d have thought that running a blog for 5+ years would cause meme related problems?
Answers after the jump…
- Habit: Here’s one I don’t think I’ve mentioned before. When I’m bored I have a tendency to make “mouth noises” without really thinking about it. Mostly random pops, clicks, and squishy sounds in a rhythmic style like some sort of demented drum set. A very limited sort of variation on the guy from the Police Academy Movies who was always doing sound effects using just his vocal skills. It’s an audible version of fidgeting that I tend to do when I can’t fidget instead. On the rare occasion it happens in someone else’s presence it usually generates a very odd look by the person who’s overhearing it so when I realize that I’m doing it I tend to try to suppress it. Anne and Courtney are the only people to hear it on a regular basis and that’s because they’re around me so much. Courtney always makes sure to tell me I’m a weirdo when she catches me doing it.
- Fact: I have two gold teeth. Well, technically I have three as I’ve had three crowns done, but only two of them are literally gold colored. Normally they put porcelain on at least the front of crowns so it’ll look like a real tooth. When I had to have the last two done I told the dentist to leave the porcelain off and to make them a true gold color so I’d be reminded when I brush my teeth of how expensive it is not to brush my teeth. The two teeth are a couple of molars on the lower right side of my jaw and they’re far enough back that most folks never see them unless they catch me yawning, but I see them every time I brush my teeth and it’s helped to motivate me to brush regularly as I should.
- Fact: Back when I was a kid I wanted to be a stunt man in part because I was a big fan of Evil Knievel. I even had an official lunch box and the official stunt bike toy. As I got older and learned that after just a few years of work a good number of stunt men had so many metal pins and rods holding them together that they had trouble walking through airport metal detectors I decided that my aversion to pain was going to make being a stunt man impossible. So I decided I’d be an actor. You can all see how motivated I was to make that dream into a reality.
- Habit: For as messy as my computer desk tends to be (and it tends to be very messy) I’m very particular about my keyboard and mouse pad placement. Anne and I have been sharing my PC since her’s died and she has this weird habit of leaving the keyboard and mouse pad all askew when she’s done and it drives me crazy in the same way that so many women are aggravated by men (like me) who leave the toilet seat up. As soon as I sit down I have to straighten the mouse pad and keyboard and move them right up along the edge of the keyboard tray otherwise I’ll be unable to work at all. It’s one of the few things I tend to be really anal about and I haven’t a clue as to why. It’s my little bit of order in the storm of chaos that is my desk.
- Fact: I still have two magazine binders full of Electronic Games magazines, the very first video game magazine ever produced way back in the 1980s. I thought about tossing them when we had to pack up and move out of the apartment, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I’m thinking of making use of an old Flick’r account I have to post scans of some of the magazines just for nostalgia’s sake, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. Mainly because they’re buried in one of the boxes here in the basement. I remember showing them to Courtney before packing them up and her laughing herself silly at the idea that her old man had spent hours playing Atari PacMan or, worse, the original Basketball.
- Habit: I keep my fingernails trimmed down to the quick as otherwise I can’t type. Even the slightest nail overhang makes typing difficult and any significant length makes it impossible. I’m always amazed by people that can type with long fingernails.
- Fact: Here’s another one I’m not sure if I’ve ever shared before: I can’t stand to eat raw tomatoes. I absolutely love tomato juice and can drink it by the gallon. Tomato paste is fine as is tomato ketchup. I can even take a shine to the occasional bowl of tomato soup or stewed tomatoes, but a slice of raw tomato on a burger will make me ill and it’s entirely an issue of texture. Raw tomatoes are slimy to me and I can’t stomach eating them.
- Fact: I can’t say the word “Rhododendrons” without slowing it down to the point that I’m speaking each syllable as a distinct word unto itself. As you can imagine this made working in the Lawn and Garden department at Meijers a short while ago difficult at times.
So there we go. My 8 factoids/habits for this meme. Now I have to come up with 8 people to
inflict this torture spread this meme to. So, in no particular order, I tag the following folks in the hopes that they haven’t already done this and I somehow missed it:
- My Pretend Internet Girlfriend, Mac, over at pesky’apostrophe.
- ***Dave of the world-renowned ***Dave Does the Blog.
- Michael Peacock from over at The Smug Baldy Speaks. An excellent blog more folks should be reading.
- The always readable DOF of Decrepit Old Fool.
- My mother of Momma’s Corner fame simply because I love to torture her so.
- Brendoman of the aptly titled Brendoman.com.
- KPG over at (Parenthetically Speaking)
- And finally Last Hussar at his blog Last Hussar’s Barracks.