Ingolfson asked so I’m posting a short update on the job situation. As I reported the other day I still haven’t heard back from my old contract house about the internal job I interviewed for the Friday before last. That’s probably due to the Powers That Be deciding they wanted to discuss the final decision at a staff meeting normally held on Thursdays which the folks who wanted to hire me tried to get moved up to last Monday, but presumably weren’t able to do. Then Friday was Veterans Day and the contract house was closed so no phone calls would be forth coming. I expect, or hope, that I’ll hear something on Monday and I’ll probably give them a call if it gets to mid-afternoon and I haven’t heard anything.
The new possibility I mentioned on Thursday that would have me returning to Ford Motor Company as part of their server team is an even bigger deal than I had originally been told. The recruiter from the other contract house I’d be working for called back around 5PM as she had promised to and we talked a bit more about my background and experience and what the position itself entails. Turns out it’s a Second Level Server Admin position where I’d be supporting the First Level guys when they couldn’t figure something out. I’d also be involved in server migrations and roll outs and other assorted duties. Now my background has been mainly in client support with some limited server support work here and there and this was noted by the recruiter during our talk and she mentioned it might be a stumbling block, but I think I did a pretty good job of selling myself as an uber-geek I-can-do-anything-given-the-chance kinda guy and I’m scheduled to go in for an interview. That’s the good news. The bad news is that it won’t be for another week from this Tuesday on November 22nd. I’m unsure how much competition I’m up against or how long it’ll take for them to make a decision, but I’m running out of time and money for this process to be dragging on much longer. Even though this job would require me to hook up with a different contract house other than my favorite one I’m still hopeful I can land it as I’m sure it’ll be better paying and full-time. My buddy Rob thinks I’ve got a good chance at it, but I’m thinking it’s going to be a hard sell on my part. So my plan is to go in there and dazzle them with my enthusiasm and eagerness and hope for the best. I just wish the interview weren’t so far away.
Which brings up the question of what do I do if I get a call from my old contract house on Monday saying I’ve got the job? Do I accept it and then quit in a couple of weeks if I end up landing the better job? Do I ask for a start date sometime after the next interview? Do I dare mention that I’m entertaining another offer? Months without any offers at all and then when they do come in they have to complicate things even more.