For the moment at least. The good news is that the two tires I needed to have replaced had manufacturer defects so I got a discount on their replacements. Cost was $119.64 at Discount Tire after a $94 discount.
From there I took a trip to Speedy for the brakes and a round of good news/bad news. Good: Front brakes were in good shape and backs needed replacement, but weren’t metal on metal yet. Bad: All four discs were rusting and should be replaced. The backs were much worse than the front, though, so I only had them put new discs on the back. Total damage done: $300.85.
Lastly I stopped by the local Valvoline Oil Change center and had them swap out the crude, put in a new PCV valve and air filter, and toss some fuel injector cleaner into the tank. That came out to $67.08. I’m due for a Transmission Fluid Change and a couple of other things as well, but couldn’t afford them at the time so they’ll have to wait until I can get working again.
Total costs are $487.57 which works out well as my Dad is sending me $500 to get the car in order. My parents aren’t in much shape to be tossing lots of money my way so I’ve made a point to avoid asking for much more than gas money when I come up to visit. Dad called me up and pretty much told me he was sending me the money I needed for the car and, honestly, I didn’t have a lot of desire to argue with him about it. So now the Grand Prix is in decent shape and ready to return to full active duty when we turn in the Saturn we leased on Saturday. One crisis down, now on to the next one.