Given the short supply of decent Christmas music, especially if you’re not of a religious bent, picking albums can be a challenge. Every year I have made it a tradition to add a new Christmas CD to my collection, preferably one that is a bit off-beat. I don’t always pick secular items, but if its not it has to be for good reason.
So far, here are my perennial favorites:
1) The Bells of Dublin (Chieftains) — ain’t Xmas without an Irish jig or two
2) Christmas Caravan (Squirrel Nut Zippers) — great mix of holiday sentiment and festivity
3) Pretty Paper (Willie Nelson) — Willie! The title song says its Christmas season to me…
4) The Wonderful World of Christmas (Elvis Presley) — You don’t have a CD collection without one with the King of croon.
5) A Christmas Celebration of Hope (B.B. King) –Another class act
One CD that must be mentioned is Trailer Trash Christmas (various artists) — great attitude, I just wish the music lived up to the idea. Irreverant as hell.
But what to get this year? Any ideas? Any favorites that should have made this list?