Here’s a bunch of things I’ve been meaning to mention, but haven’t been able to work into a full entry so I’ll present them in a handy bullet point list:
- My daughter Courtney got her report card last week and missed getting straight A’s by the smallest of margins: One grade was a B+. She wasn’t pleased, but I’m still very proud of her just the same.
- We managed to make it out to see Jersey Girl weekend before last and all three of us thought it was really good. I’m a Kevin Smith fan to begin with and George Carlin in a serious role was worth the price of admission in its own right. I only got sappy maybe four or five times during the movie.
- After nearly a 20 year absence I’m about to start playing the Dungeons & Dragons pen and paper RPG again. It’s part of a new thing we’re doing to try and spend at least an hour a week together doing something as a family. Anne and Courtney have always wanted to try their hand at a traditional RPG and I’ve had the itch to run a game myself. We sat down and rolled up characters for the original Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules I still own when it occurred to me why my gaming group stopped playing D&D in the first place (other, better systems came along). So I’m investing in a new set of AD&D 3.5 Core Rulebooks which have vastly improved the game since I last played it.
- On a related note: I was able to dig up all of my RIFTS RPG books except for the main rule book and I’m quite unhappy about it. Can’t recall if I loaned it to someone and never got it back or if it’s stashed someplace I’ve forgotten.
- Stopped by the Palladium games website to see if they were still producing stuff and they still are. There’s something on the scale of almost 60 books pertaining to the RIFTS RPG these days most of which are pretty damned thick and offer tons of background material, new spells, new racial and occupational classes, etcetera. Considering how much time we spent flipping back and forth for rules using just the five books we had at the time we were playing I can’t imagine how anyone runs a RIFTS campaign these days without severely limiting what source books you allow your players to draw from.
Hmmm. Perhaps I could have worked a couple of those into larger entries. Oh well.