Click pic to enlarge.
The income tax return we were expecting hit the checking account this morning. Anne had agreed to allow me to take a bit of it and spend it on building myself a new PC so I’ve been spending the last week or so thinking about what I wanted and doing research on what would be the best components to go with. I ended up running around to a bunch of the hardware enthusiast sites (read: ber-geek discussion boards) and asking folks to comment on my preliminary decisions. Can’t go wrong with consulting those who eat, sleep, and breathe this stuff even more than I do. My current PC will be disassembled and cannibalized to upgrade Anne and Courtney’s PC so we’re essentially upgrading everyone’s PC all at once. My new system’s going to be sweet. This is the most I’ve spent at one time on a PC since the glory days of my old Amigas. That’s a pic of what it’ll look like when I’m done.
Details on what I’ve bought are as follows:
- Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 Athlon(XP)/Duron SktA DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, LAN, RAID/Serial ATA
- AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 333MHz FSB (Barton Core)
- Corsair 512MB DDR 400 XMS 3200 CAS2 Dual-Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader (2 matched and pre-tested 256MB modules)
- 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 Ultra ATA/133 7200RPM w/8MB Buffer & Fluid Dynamic Bearing Motors (fast and quiet)
- PowerColor ATI Radeon 9700 Gold Version AGP 8X 128MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out, DVI & 7 Games
- Chenming Turbo Gamer SX1040 SE 10-Bay Case (Blue color) w/400 Watt PS, Acrylic side window and 4 Standard CRYSTAL LED 80mm Cooling Fans
- Matching blue color Mitsumi 1.44MB floppy drive
- 12” Cold Cathlon Fluorescent Lamp
I’ll be moving my current VeloCD 40x12x48 CD-RW drive over to the new box. I managed to get all of this and only went over the budget we agreed on by a mere $29.45 mainly due to some rather hefty shipping charges for the case. Now all I have to do is sit back and wait. Yeah, that’s the hard part.