I don’t normally participate in these memes mainly because I keep forgetting to do so, but occasionally I come across one that strikes my curiosity so I dive in. This is one of those times. Today I’ll be doing This or That Tuesday for the first time. Let’s get started then, shall we?
1. Real or artificial tree? Artificial, mainly because we still live in an Apartment that’s already messy enough without a pine tree dropping needles everywhere. Then again most of the trees from my youth were artificial as well. So it could just be I’m used to having a tree that is “some assembly required” and, if you ask me, that seems somewhat fitting considering the nature of many Christmas presents.
2. Real or artificial wreath? Neither. Don’t have any wreaths this year. Once again my past recalls many artificial wreaths though. I don’t think I’ve had a wreath since I moved into the apartment. Next year maybe.
3. Open gifts on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (or do you do another holiday such as Hanukkah)? Both. We spend Christmas Eve at my folks place and we spend Christmas Day at my in-laws. Double the presents, double the food, double the mayhem. What more could a Yuletide nut ask for?
4. “It’s A Wonderful Life” or “Miracle on 34th Street”? Oh, that is a toughie. Both movies are favorites though if you rate them purely on their ability to turn me into a blubbering overgrown sentimental sap then the edge would go to Wonderful Life. For some reason a lot of people find it odd that an atheist would get all sappy over a Christmas movie featuring an angel.
5. Outdoor decorations, or just indoors? A little of both, but not much of either. That whole living-in-a-tiny-apartment thing again. Outside I have the world’s most pathetic light display on my balcony and inside we have the tree and some stockings and the Christmas cards.
6. “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town” or “Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer”? Definitely Santa Claus is Coming to Town, though I don’t mind Rudolph in moderation.
7. Miniature lights or the larger ones? I’m definitely a big fan of the good old fashioned C9 light sets and I use them almost exclusively on the tree with the star topper being the only miniature lights present. I like the fact that I can buy packages of twinkle replacement bulbs and have only a few lights per string blink on and off. Can’t do that with the minis. The minis are put to use out on the balcony. As a kid I totally resented the minis as I thought they were totally wussy lights that barely made the effort of stringing them up worthwhile. I’m less antagonistic about them these days.
8. Store-bought or hand-made ornaments? I can’t hand make an ornament to save my life. My tree would just have garland and lights if I couldn’t by ornaments from a store.
9. TV Specials: The Grinch or Charlie Brown? With a blog name that includes both the words “Evil” and “Stupid”, do you really think I could choose between those two venerable traditions?
10. Will you be staying at home for the holiday, or going visiting? Yes. While we do travel heavily over those two days, we try to make time on Christmas Morning to sit and open gifts amongst ourselves in our little apartment. Best of both worlds.